Saturday, June 19, 2010

Trying Mexico on for size

I'm at it again with a few changes this time around. First of all, I'm in Mexico. I kept with the Spanish speaking theme, but stayed on the continent. Second, the furthest I'm walking is into town and it's only about a mile. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more to be back on the Camino again, but I figured I should give somewhere else a shot before I went back. Yes, I am planning to do it again sometime in the future.

I've moved myself down to Puerto Morelos. Its just 30 minutes south of Cancun (which I pride myself on never actually going to) and right on the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula and as beautiful as can be. I am beyond lucky that I know the right people in the right places. Jake's mom and step-dad own some vacation rentals a mere block from the beach. What started out as a trip to learn Spanish turned into much more. I am now learning the other side of the hotel industry and I can't tell you how happy I am to not be serving up burgers and calamari. Thank God, Allah, Mohammad, Yahweh, whoever I need to be thanking.

An interesting little coincidence, I was actually supposed to arrive here on June 13 which is exactly 1 year since I took my first steps on the Camino. You notice that I say I was supposed to arrive on that day. I missed my flight by 8 stinking minutes. I was cursing at the gate agent just before the plane was pulling away. It ended up being a blessing in disguise. I spent the day walking around Wood Lake (did I mention that I was in Minnesota? Well, I was) which happened to look a lot like Basque Country and Galicia. The perfect way to spend my anniversary.

You want to know what a small world it is? The girl I played second horn to through high school is playing in the symphony in Merida!! That's only a 4 hour bus ride and I'm heading there tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, for those of you that don't know where I am check out www.abbeydelsol.com.

Blog ya soon!

1 comment: